Sunday, May 25, 2014

Babygirl Turns One!

It was both a happy and sad occasion. Our Babybear turned one year old. She's growing into such an amazing little person, full of personality and universally known as a happy baby! (She has her moments, but thankfully they are few and far between) 

I love watching her grow and learn, but it's going too fast! It feels like just yesterday she was being stubborn and refusing to turn and determined to let mommy check out the NICU. She has always known exactly what she wants, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's been an amazing year getting to know this bundle of joy and I wanted to make her first birthday special. 

And it turned out just perfect! She was surrounded by people who simply adore her and got to play with her favorite little baby friend in the water. 

And of course she loved her gifts, though sometimes the wrapping paper was her favorite part. 

She, surprisingly, wasn't a fan of her cake. We gave her free reign of it and she barely touched it with one finger and proceeded to give it to me. I know it was delicious because HB ate it for her! I suppose I can't be upset when my child chooses to eat the fruits and veggies over a pure sugar, strawberry cake. I'll take it as a mommy and daddy win. 

I think it was planning this birthday that sparked my interest in crafts again. The past few months have been full of packing, organizing, moving and unpacking that I couldn't even begin to think about creating more things! But now that we were all settled in I could focus on making things. The fact that things tend to be a bit more expensive here helped fuel my desire to make everything as well.


The first task was deciding on a theme for the party. I knew I wanted it to be colorful, but I'm not a huge fan of rainbows. Then one night as we were reading our bedtime story I decided that our theme would be "oh, the places you'll go!". Typically I think this is used as a graduation theme, but what better way to prepare for the places she'll go than from the beginning! And she's already been fortunate enough to travel across the world and will hopefully be able to continue exploring the wonders of the world when she gets older. 


I had a great time creating all the different elements, and I made almost everything. I'll be making posts with how-to's for everything in the coming posts. One of the things I didn't make was Sophia's headband. I got that from the awesome Lucy&Riley. It just matched the color scheme so well I couldn't help myself. For those in Australia you can check out her Facebook page to see all of her beautiful headbands! 


We decided to do a cake smash session for Sophia's one year pictures. She wasn't the biggest fan of the cake part, but we got some beautiful pictures. Here's a sneak peek courtesy of One Moment One Time Photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment